The whole process of choosing a career is taken as a tensed and stressful activity which is a reality but it totally depends on how one carry the process with understanding, following the basic steps lovingly and with maturity.
The journey is roller coaster maddening and magical at the same time. It is a revolutionary phase we are passing through, heading towards modernization and development and entering a world of opportunities and growth. The youth of this era is most beneficiary. The need is to understand self and the goal in life. Choosing a career is a thorough process, some important things should be kept in mind while choosing a career.
Factors that contribute in choosing a career:
- Family – Parents are the most active participants in children’s career choice. They want a secured and successful future for their kids. Their participation and involvement in helping the child to choose a career is of great value and is welcomed, but at the same time it is very important to see that whole hard work is not done out of insecurity and viewing it as a competition era. Sometimes it happens that parents want to live their dreams through their children and so want them to pursue certain career. The need is to involve the child in the process to make favorable and suitable career choice Understanding the interest, capabilities and values of the child is of utmost necessity. However badly the parents want the child to be successful by choosing a proper career it should be remembered that parents are the facilitators and ultimately children has to work hard and pursue the career. At the same time the children have to connect to the parents as they are more concerned about them and always ready to help them and provide the essentials. Every child has a role model in the family and likes to choose the career like them. Nothing wrong in that but every child is unique with specific qualities and skills which should also be taken into consideration. The only talk after exams in the family is which career is he opting for? This is the need of an hour but should be done in matured and concerned way by trusting each other.
- Friends – Adolescence and young adulthood is a beautiful period of friendship and rosy relationships. The bond of friendship is the priority. The dilemma is the tough decision of choosing a career at the stage of life where spending time with the friends is the priority and departing from them is unacceptable. The need is to understand that the career which one chooses is to design the future and lead a successful life which should be based on one’s interest, qualities, capabilities, skills values and passion and not on the influence of the friends which unfortunately happens at times. This is the time to evaluate self and then take the decision. True friends are forever so in case choosing a different career won’t affect the friendship. Peer pressure is also high which needs to be handled in a very calm and matured way.
- Socio-emotional status – Carrier selection is not only related to student life but also affects individual’s whole life. In our society the individual is connected with the family as well as with the society and in our society one has to perform well in social life after completing the educational life. And this two affect each other. Thus apart from individual’s interest, factors like parent’s educational background, parent’s socio-emotional status, guidance, job opportunities, social status of degree holders also affect student’s career selection. Socio-emotional status is defined as a relative standing in society based on an individual’s income, power, occupation, education and prestige. It is seen that the son/daughter of a Doctor often opt for medicine and so on. Socio-emotional status play a vital role in student’s career choice but again it is important to understand that overall evaluation of the child should be done and then choose the career.
- The thought process -This is the transition period for the students where for time being the fun time takes a backseat and evolves a serious, matured person who need to take certain tough decisions about his career. Deep in their heart they know it would be total their responsibility and others are a support and provider to them. It’s like storm of numerous thoughts in the mind at a time. On one hand are the desire, wish and dream to adopt a particular career, educational institute and university of choice and on other hand is the reality check of marks, percentage and percentile. It is constant conflict between the heart and head. Sometimes they find pressure from people around in choosing the career at the same time need guidance also. It is appreciated that children now-a-days also think about the outcome and job opportunities before choosing a career it is no more an impulsive decision. Along with all this practical thoughts also comes an emotional thought of family separation if they get admission in some other city. The parents also undergo this emotion. It is hard work coming to terms with this. The family attachment, bonding, emotional and physical dependency is very dear and a habit. It is a sudden change and a new life as a whole. The other thought comes is freedom which is so much on demand but it should be realized that freedom comes with responsibilities. Higher education has a huge cost attached to it. The young adults are very much aware of this and also think about it before pursuing a career. It is needed and helpful that parents connect with their children and understand the turmoil going inside them and help them to pass through the process with love, care, warmth and guidance.
- Awareness – The next step is gathering awareness about the careers. It is important to gather self -awareness before you gather awareness of the careers. Knowing self is the basic home work which should be done before doing anything. Self awareness helps the students in understanding their occupational fit by analyzing their minds, emotions and drives and the effect it has on others. It goes beyond understanding one’s skills and interest to reveal insights into their personality type, personal values, work environment preferences, their strength and weakness. There are vast opportunities and numerous careers to pursue. Everyone can get their favorable field and get successful. The need is to get aware of all the opportunities. Parents and teachers play a vital role of in making children aware of this. Almost all the information is available in the internet about the various careers and also about the educational institutes providing such educations. Self awareness along with awareness develops an action plan which leads to favorable, suitable and successful career selection.
The whole process of choosing a career is taken as a tensed and stressful activity which is a reality but it totally depends on how one carry the process with understanding, following the basic steps lovingly and with maturity. Again it is often heard that everything is not in our hand but most of the things are in our hand and when done wholeheartedly without skipping the steps gives ultimate results. Choosing a favorable career is the first step to beautiful and successful life which is process to pass through in best possible way.