Let us see the factors that influence the career choice.
- The grade secured in the exams – This is the first requirement which makes the child eligible in choosing the stream and hence forth the career. The stream once chosen open ups numerous careers.
- Family– Parents are the most active participants in children’s career choice. They are concerned that their child choose the right career and be successful. It should be taken care that the decision should not be taken as per their wish and aspiration but as per the child’s wish and ambition. It is a matured calm decision so should not be taken out of insecurity or so called competition era. It is seen that earning money and becoming successful is easy nowadays. You do certain thing consistently and you are successful and you can earn money with anything you work efficiently. The need is to sustain success and moreover enjoy success which is only possible when you choose a favourable career.
- Friends – Adolescence and young adulthood is a beautiful period of friendship and rosy relationships. The bond of friendship is the priority. The dilemma is the tough decision of choosing a career at the stage of life where spending time with friends is the priority and departing from them is unacceptable. The need is to understand that the career choice is to design the future and lead a successful life which should be based on one’s interest, qualities, capabilities, skills, values and passion and not on the influence of the friends which happens at times. True friends are forever so choosing a different career does not affect the friendship. Peer pressure is also high which needs to be handled in a calm and matured way.
- Socio economic status – Socio economic status is defined as a relation standing in the society based on an individual’s income, power, occupation, education and prestige. It is seen that the son/daughter of the doctor opt for medicine and so on. Socio emotional status play a vital role in student’s career choice but again it is important to understand that overall evaluation of child should be done and then choose the career.
- Thought process – Aligning the thought process before choosing the career is necessary. It is a phase were doubts, insecurity, confusion are the part and parcel. The need is to set self right focus on what kind of life you want and which profession you would like to pursue and why? If the why is clear what and how becomes easy.
- Awareness – Once the decision is made it is time to gather awareness about the institutes and university that offer the course. At the same time gathering self awareness is important. Getting aware of the thoughts, emotions, drives, skills and the effect they on the decision made.
The whole process of choosing a career is viewed as a tensed and stressful activity which is a reality but it totally depends in how one carry the process with understanding following the basic steps lovingly and with maturity. Choosing a favourable career is the first step to beautiful and successful life.