The need is to understand the power of goal and set goals for successful and meaningful life. It is easy to set a goal but at times difficult to achieve it. The good news is there is a thorough researched way to achieve your goals. The need is to understand few steps of the process of goal setting. It is to be understood that there is difference between a wish and a goal. Often a wish is considered to be a goal and that is the mistake. The process of goal setting is simple it involves few steps.
- You should have an intense burning desire for your goals. It is something you want all the time. It is not seasonal or goes with your mood swings.
- It should be personal. Once it is personal you take the responsibility to achieve it.
- Have clarity. It is very important to have clarity of what you want and what your goals are. More clear you are more you will be able to put your energy in right direction.
- You should always ask yourself what you want to do with your life. This helps you to set a true goal.
- It is important that in determining your true goal you start with your vision, your value and your ideas. They are driving force in attaining goals.
- Figure out what is the emotional reason behind your goal. It is the hidden force that will push you to achieve your goal. Emotions have immense power and once they are attached to the goals, achieving goals is inevitable.
There would be many challenges in achieving your goals. Overcoming challenges is easy when worked on few things.
Free yourself from negative emotions. This is the basic hindrance in achieving goals. The negative emotions are fear, self pity, envy, jealousy, feeling of inferiority and anger. These are mostly caused by four factors. They are justification, rationalization, over concern or hypersensitivity of the way people treat you and blaming.
Preparing yourself to achieve your goals
Once you have set a goal, preparation is of utmost necessity. You have decided to have a life which you always desired. It needs persistent work. Getting prepared with the facts and figures and technicality is a different story. It is the internal change and growth that prepare you profoundly to achieve your goals. It involves:
- Take complete responsibility – Make a powerful affirmation “I am responsible”. It instantly eliminates negative emotions. You can free yourself from negative emotions and begin taking control of your life. Say I am responsible when you are angry or upset for any reason.
- Stop blaming others – Every time you blame someone else or make excuses, you give your power away. You feel weakened and diminished. You feel negative and angry inside.
- Control your emotions – The negative emotions control your emotions for others, allow him or her to control your emotions and entire quality of your life at long run. This is just silly. Positive emotions of happiness, excitement, love and enthusiasm make you feel powerful and confident.
Once you understand the process, hindrances and are prepared you are ready to set your goals and achieve them too.
The goals should be S. M A. R. T
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Realistic
T – Time constraint
Once the goals are set it is important to divide them into long term goal, midterm goal and short term goal. Short term goals should be revised as per the requirements and achievements.
Long term goals should always be in mind, heart and soul. It is the ultimate life you want. You should have a burning desire for it. Midterm goals give you the structure to achieve your long term goal. Short term goal is the most productive and action oriented part. Once you achieve your short term goals on daily basis you can surely achieve your long term goal.
Goals are the fuel in furnace of achievement that leads to success. Goals unlock your positive mind and release ideas and energy for goal achievement. Without goals you simply drift and flow on the current of life. With goals you fly like an arrow, straight and true to your target.